The Constitution of Virginia delegates the authority to assess taxes to the Commissioner of the Revenue and the authority to collect taxes to the Treasurer. This division of responsibility facilitates necessary internal control checks and balances.

Pulaski County continues to look for improved methods of obtaining tax payments and providing additional information to the public regarding account status, assessments and payments. We strive to ensure professional, courteous and expedient customer service.

If you have any questions, please contact at

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the Real Estate Tax rate, and when are these taxes due?
The current real estate tax rate is .64/$100. The yearly tax is split into halves, with the first half due June 5th, and the second half due December 5th. There is a 10% penalty assessed the day after the due date. There is also a 10% per annum interest assessed the day after the due date. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you of the penalty and interest charge applied to past due bills.

Does my real estate property qualify for Land Use?
Pulaski County has a land use program for land being used for farming and agriculture. The forms for this program are in the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office and are due by November 1st. Please contact their office at 540-980-7753.

Is there a tax relief program for the elderly or disabled?
The tax relief for the elderly and disabled is based on the income and net worth of the household income. You must be 100% disabled or 65 and over. Forms must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office between January 1st and April 1st of every year. Contact them at 540-980-7750.

What is the tax relief program for Veterans?
Veteran’s tax relief on real estate property is based on a service related disability. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue for more information at 540-980-7750.

What are the Personal Property tax rates and when are these taxes due?
The Tangible and Business personal property tax rates are $2.35/$100, Machinery and Tools is $1.50/$100 and Mobile Homes are .64/$100. These taxes are due once a year on October 15th. The assessment is based on what you owned as of January 1st. There is a 10% penalty assessed the day after the due date. There is also a 10% per annum interest assessed the day after the due date. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you of the penalty and interest charge applied to past due bills.

Who do I contact if my personal property assessment is incorrect?
The Commissioner of the Revenue assess’ personal property taxes for the Treasurer’s office. If you feel that your assessment is too high or you have a vehicle, boat, trailer, etc. that you did not own on January 1st, please contact them at 540-980-7750.

What do I do if I no longer own a vehicle that is on my tax ticket?
Taxes are based on ownership as of January 1st. If you did not own the vehicle on January 1st, please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office at 540-980-7750. Also, if you trade, sell, or junk a vehicle, make sure that DMV has the information as to when the vehicle was taken out of your name. Trading a vehicle does not guarantee that the vehicle has been removed from your records at DMV. Vehicles will stay in your name at DMV until the title is recorded in a new owner’s name.

What is the Personal Property Tax Relief Act?

The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and NOT used for business purposes. In 2006, the Commonwealth of Virginia capped its payment to localities. Each year Pulaski County is required to recalculate the tax relief percentage based on the state cap and the growth in the number value of vehicles located in the county. For qualified vehicles, your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percent for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. If your qualifying vehicle assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated by the Pulaski County Board of Supervisors and the Commonwealth’s share is 100%.

Can I make payments on my taxes?
Yes. If you owe delinquent taxes, you may set up a payment plan to make monthly payments. Any delinquent taxes owed must first be paid before the current taxes due. Making payments does not alleviate penalty and interest from accruing. The penalty and interest will continue to accrue on the unpaid tax balance.

Does Pulaski County accept pre-payments for taxes?
Yes. You may pay ahead at any time. We will apply your payments to the current taxes owed.

What information do I need to purchase a dog license and how much do they cost?
You will need to mail or bring in your original Rabies Vaccination Certificate. Dog tags go on sale November 1st of each year, and are due by January 31st of each year. Pulaski County sells 1 year tags and 3 year tags. Kennel tags and duplicate tags can only be purchased in the Treasurer’s office in the Old Stone Courthouse.

The amounts are as follows:


1 Year Male $10.00 3 Year Male $27.00 
1 Year Female $10.00 3 Year Female $27.00
1 Year Unsex $6.00 3 Year Unsex $15.00
Kennel Tags $50.00 Duplicate Tags $1.00

 For the convenience of our citizens, all of our county veterinarian offices sell our dog tags. They are:

  • Tipton Ridge Veterinary Medical Center
  • Pulaski Animal Clinic
  • Dublin Animal Hospital (1 year only)
  • Community Animal Hospital (No longer sells tags)
  • Radford Animal Hospital
  • Emerald Moon Veterinary Clinic
  • West End Animal Clinic
  • Pulaski County Animal Shelter

What is required to purchase an automobile decal and how much do they cost?
Pulaski County has a renewal fee for vehicles, motorcycles, and trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds and over. Pulaski County now sells a permanent decal for your vehicle. The decal will stay on the vehicle as long as you own the vehicle. There is a renewal fee every year for the decal. Motorcycles and trailers do not require a decal to be placed on them, but do require the renewal fee each year. The fees are:

  • Vehicles $25.00
  • Motorcycles $10.00
  • Trailers 3,000 lbs and over $10.00

What should I do if I am billed for a vehicle decal on a car I no longer own?
 Please contact our office if you do not have a vehicle any longer. You will pay taxes on a vehicle that was owned on January 1st, but you are not required to pay the vehicle fee. Vehicle decal fees are only required on vehicles you still own.

What methods are available to pay taxes?
 Taxes may be paid in our office located in the Old Stone Courthouse, on the first floor. We accept cash, check, money order, cashier’s check, and Visa and MasterCard. Visa and MasterCard are accepted across the counter at no extra charge. There is a drop box located to the right, at the back doors. Please do not put cash in the drop box. You may also pay online. Please click the Search and pay taxes button. Telephone payments may be placed at 1-888-520-8724.  There is a 2.2% convenience fee charged by the provider for telephone and online payments.

Could my property be sold for delinquent taxes?
 Yes. Any property that is 2 years and back, may be placed on our Summons and/or Judicial list. Once a property is placed on a Judicial Sale list, the property must be paid in full in order to stop the sale. You have until the day of sale to redeem property. All sales are conducted and sold at auction.

Does Pulaski County have a Business License?
 Yes. You must file each year by March 1st for a new Business License. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue for the application and requirements for the Business License. Failure to have a current Business License is a Class I Misdemeanor. The Commissioner’s number is 540-980-7750.

Does Pulaski County have a Meals and Lodging Tax?
Yes. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at 540-980-7750, for the forms and the requirements for paying this tax each month.

Where do I file and pay my State Income Taxes?
 You will file your taxes with the Commissioner of the Revenue. If you do not pay the taxes in full, the Treasurer’s office will bill you each month. You may make payments to the Treasurer’s office after filing. If you file directly with Richmond via mail or automatic filing, you will need to send payment to the Commonwealth of Virginia

Where do I file and pay Estimated Income Taxes.
 You will file Voucher 1 with the Commissioner of the Revenue. Vouchers 2, 3, and 4 will be filed with the Treasurer’s office. If you file Voucher 1 with Richmond, you must send the subsequent voucher to Richmond.

How do I gain access to the Pulaski County landfill/Drop Sites?
 You may enter the landfill and the Large Item Drop Sites/Recycle Centers if you have a valid Pulaski County decal on your windshield. You may also enter these sites if you have a current copy of your garbage bill from PSA.